BUSINESS AND INFLUENZA
With the flu season upon us, it is highly important for people of all ages to get their vaccine shot. One common perception that only people with complications or weak immune systems due to certain diseases can contract the flu is completely false.
The 2021 Quadrivalent Vaccine protects against the following strains:
- A/Victoria/2570/2019 (H1N1) pdm09-like virus
- A/Hong Kong/2671/2019 (H3N2)-like virus;
- B/Washington/02/2019-like (B/Victoria lineage) virus;
- B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (B/Yamagata lineage) virus
WHAT IS INFLUENZA?
Influenza is a highly contagious virus. It is easily spread by droplets when an infected individual coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread by touching surfaces contaminated by people with flu.
Symptoms of influenza appear a few days after infection and may take up to a week to resolve. They often include:
• Fever and chills
• Cough and/or sore throat
• Muscle aches, joint pain and headaches
• Fatigue (feeling very tired)
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS?
The side effects following vaccination are usually mild. They may include:
- Pain, redness or swelling at the injection site
- Low grade fever
- Feeling tired or aching
- Very rarely people have a severe allergic reaction after the injection
You can manage side effects by:
- Placing a cold pack on the sore injection site
- Wearing a light clothing if you have a fever
- Taking paracetamol
- Drinking extra fluids
HOW CAN THE FLU VACCINATION BENEFIT YOUR WORKPLACE AND STAFF?
The flu vaccination has proven to increase staff productivity and reduce rates of absenteeism during winter. Our experienced team of nurses at Vaccin8 Plus help make it efficient and convenient by travelling to you and simply setting up an onsite vaccination clinic.
To ensure that your workplace environment remains safe, practice these steps:
- Any employee who has flu-like symptoms should be encouraged to stay at home.
- Make sure that commonly used surfaces and areas in your workplace are regularly disinfected and cleaned.
- Ensure that hand sanitizers are placed nearby and the use of hand washing facilities is encouraged.
- Cover your nose or mouth with a tissue and discard it after use.
- Wash hands with soap and water, especially after a cough or a sneeze.
- Provide hand hygiene and cough reading material to your employees.
- And most importantly, encourage your employees to get vaccinated.
- The flu vaccination strengthens your immune system by creating antibodies that protect you from the virus
- One common side effect is mild tenderness at the injection site which can last a few days
- The flu vaccine does not contain any live virus therefore you cannot get the flu from receiving the vaccine.
- According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), the flu vaccination is the most effective protection against influenza